OARSMAN’S BAY LODGE
A Place Where People & Nature Thrive
Oarsman’s Bay Lodge is just one of only four accommodation providers on the rural Island of Nacula, in the Yasawa Islands of Fiji. The recently renovated lodge is enviably set on the shores of Nalova Bay, just a few metres away from Fiji’s whitest sand and crystal blue waters.
Oarsman’s Bay is unlike many resorts in Fiji. We seek out like-minded travellers who want to relax in spectacular tropical paradise whilst experiencing the ‘real Fiji’, and supporting the local Fijian community and its natural environment. The local Nacula communities are key stakeholders here, so you know you are helping to sustain the current and future generations of the people of Nacula Island. By choosing to stay with us, you’ll get an authentic experience of Fijian tradition and culture.
We have flexible accommodation offerings with Private Bures in three configurations, as well as a Shared Dorms. So whether you are travelling solo, as a couple or in a group, our accommodation options are suitable for a range of tastes and budgets.
Our Role As Custodians
We respect our Fijian heritage, its future heirs, and the cultural diversity of our guests. We feel the great responsibility of conserving and protecting the environment on which our island life depends.
We are committed to:
● Working to establish a Marine Preservation Area around Yaromo Island and Nacula Bay, dedicated to the protection of biodiversity and natural resources of our clean and preserved waters.
● Educating our guests about our island with guided tours of the rugged peaks, mangroves and valleys of Nacula Island.
● Working towards offering a completely self-sufficient food chain by featuring locally sourced seafood, fruits and vegetables on our menus, and also by providing any excess produce to the Nacula Island community.
● Utilising natural artesian water that is accessed through a bore-hole, and then goes through a rigorous filtering process. All guests have unlimited access from a purifier at the bar to fill their reusable water bottles whenever they please.
● Sustaining our local fishing community by buying seafood fresh from our bay each morning.
● Minimising single use plastic on the island where possible.
● Honouring the annual traditional Fijian fish drive.